Monday, November 15, 2010

That's What He Said: Joaquin Phoenix


My opinion of actor turned rapper Joaquin Phoenix has drastically altered after watching the documentary I'm Still Here. Now I am asking myself if he really is still all there? He seems lost in the transition he is trying to make in his life and I really wonder if there is any hope left for him in life and in his career if this documentary is anything to judge him by.


I'm Still Here depicts a detailed and explicit portrayal of one tough year in JP's real life as he ventures away from the public eye and tries to express his real self through the means of rap. It somewhat depicts a mid-life crisis and a bad one at that.


Throughout the documentary people question if Joaquin Phoenix is joking about all this rap thing or if he really is being serious and attempting a new career from scratch. Footage shows how JP struggles to deal with the perceptions of the public and being misunderstood. One line from JP himself is "Love me or Hate me but just don't misunderstand me".

The fact that this documentary was made, shows a hestitation for JP to move away from the film medium. I respect that he wants to be a rapper, I respect that he wants to express his real self, but i don't respect that he was in this documentary. It only raises more suspicion about the seriousness of his move to rap and ending his acting career.

Maybe i am just misunderstanding him.... but i know for sure that i don't like the person he is at the moment. If  he wants to be real, he needs to get real with himself and admit that he has a few issues that he clearly needs to resolve. Drugs, anger, self perception, ego all come to mind.

I want to understand Joaquin Phoenix but this documentary raises so many questions about him that I am now more confused than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment