Saturday, November 20, 2010

Culture Class: To Cross or Not To Cross

It's not joke when I say that European drivers are dare-devils. I hate to generalise, but the reason I feel I have the right in this case, is due to the fact that the European public are noticably really well trained at waiting for green walking lights when wanting to cross a street. It is very rare to see someone cross when the red light is flashing.

I come from a country where people cross the street where-ever they please and for the most part the hap-hazard system works. I know I definitely don't feel restricted when crossing streets or guilty for having not waited for a light to tell me when to go. As a kid I learnt the 'look left, look right, look left again' mantra and so far that has worked pretty well for me.

I sometimes wonder how many minutes people over here spend waiting for the green light to come on. I'm currently getting my cameleon on, and going with the flow, but now and again I do cross when its red. I always look first of course.

Guess with the crazy european drivers, the lighting system is helping save lives. So there must be some method in the madness. I just can't help but marvel at the zombie trance people go into when wanting to do something as simple as cross the street. Strange!

No comments:

Post a Comment