Monday, March 28, 2011

Press pLAy: Old Music That Still Rocks


Even though we are smack bang in the age of hip hop, RnB and dance, I still like to take a trip back and listen to the occasional older album. Definitely puts some perspective on what today's music has edged out from and is a genuine reminder of those good ol days when difference stood out more then commerical.

So here's my take on 'Old music that still rocks' :

* First on the list is The Cranberries. I just recently saw and laughed through their music video for Just My Imagination. It absolutely made my day to see lead singer Dolores O'Riordan floating around the screen listening to her discman with butterflies flying around. Even though their music videos are stuck in the 90's, The Cranberries music is ageless,

* The Beatles come in second. They churned out so many songs, it's almost impossible to ignore the effect their music still has on the listener all these years later. At Madame Tussards in London, there is a phenomenal wax ensemble of The Beatles, I kinda had some thoughts about coming back in the night to take it. Movies like Across the Universe rightly glorify their music and further force those catchy tunes on the nation. Amazing, genius music.

* Third place goes to Louis Armstrong and his breath-taking voice. "I see trees so green, Red roses too, I see them blume, from in you, and I think to myself...What a Wonderful world". Louis Armstrong, you have made me see beauty in the world and it's certainly a better world knowing we can always replay your voice anytime, anywhere.

* The Ramones, my favourite rock band ever. They sing about the weirdest things but I can't stop tapping my feet along with the tune and playing some air drums.

And the list goes on and on, but I have some real work to do, so better stop re-living music history and step back into the age of techno and synthesizers :)

Press pLAy, golden oldies make for happy time :)    

No comments:

Post a Comment